SkootEco Partners with Good Energy to Offset 90% of Consumer Gas Emissions

Written by
June 12, 2024
4 min read

B-Corp Certified sustainability platform, SkootEco, has announced a partnership with leading UK green energy supplier, Good Energy. This collaboration aims to offset 90 percent of emissions from Good Energy’s consumer gas product using Gold Standard carbon credits from humanitarian projects in India, Kenya, and China.

A Commitment to Greener Gas

Good Energy is known for offering one of the greenest gas tariffs on the market. Currently, 10 percent of its gas product is sourced from renewable biogas produced in Britain. This 10 percent represents the maximum percentage of the UK’s gas demand that can be sustainably met with domestically generated biogas. To address the remaining 90 percent of emissions, SkootEco steps in, investing in biogas projects in underprivileged communities around the world.

Shared Values and Climate Positive Action

This partnership between SkootEco and Good Energy is a testament to their shared commitment to climate positive action. The Gold Standard carbon credits funded by Good Energy support not only global biogas projects but also generate significant positive social impacts. These projects are chosen for their dual benefits of reducing emissions and enhancing social welfare.

Leading the Way in Carbon Management

SkootEco offers an intuitive carbon footprint management solution to businesses worldwide. It boasts an impressive array of offset projects, such as those supported by Good Energy’s credits, making it a leader in the industry.

Nigel Pocklington, CEO of Good Energy, emphasised the importance of this partnership:

“As a clean energy company, we are committed to helping customers get off gas, but clearly that isn’t going to happen overnight. That’s what makes our gas product an ideal vehicle for high-quality carbon offsetting — ensuring unavoidable emissions can contribute to positive climate and social impact.
"SkootEco made for a perfect partner in achieving this, as a values-aligned, purpose-driven, B Corp certified business. We are looking forward to following the projects our certificates are helping to fund to see the real-world benefits.”

Supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals

The projects backed by Good Energy through SkootEco align with several UN Sustainable Development Goals, including affordable and clean energy, decent work and economic growth, improved health, gender equality, and zero hunger. The three primary projects funded by this partnership are:

  • Household Biogas Project in Punjab, India: Providing clean energy to households.
  • Home Biogas Project in Kenya:*Supporting communities with sustainable energy solutions.
  • Biogas Project Using Manure from Farms Near Ganzhou City, China: Converting waste to energy.

Future Prospects

Greg Gormley, CEO of SkootEco, shared his excitement about the partnership:

“I’m thrilled to announce this partnership with Good Energy. Becoming their climate partner and helping them identify verified carbon reduction projects that align with their business has been a pleasure. I have seen firsthand the impact that is being made by Good Energy’s support of these amazing humanitarian carbon reduction projects and look forward to updating their team and customers on the progress these projects make over the next three years.”

SkootEco's Broader Impact

Beyond its partnership with Good Energy, SkootEco collaborates with other major brands like Addison Lee, Oracle, Coventry Building Society Arena, D.ream International, and BUPA. To date, SkootEco's efforts have resulted in:

  • 1,224,478+ Trees planted in deforested and damaged ecosystems globally.
  • 110,000+ Plastic bottles removed and recycled from waterways and coastlines worldwide.
  • 15+ Global humanitarian projects funded in support of the UN's Sustainable Development Goals.

This partnership marks a significant step towards a more sustainable future, demonstrating how businesses can come together to create a meaningful impact on both the environment and society.

View their Impact
Share this post
Written by
June 12, 2024
4 min read